Third Thursday Breakfast Meeting
March 17, 2016
20 Community Way East
East Greenbush, NY
Members Attending (10): Terry Brewer, Ron Annis, Mike Dewey, Murray Forth, Andy Leyhane, Marco Koshykar, Jim McHugh, Shannon Romanowski, John Sawchuk, Matt Smith.
Guests (1): Monika Annis.
PROGRAM: “Why You Need An Attorney”
New SRC Rotarian Marko Koshykar is an attorney in private practice with the Albany firm of Nolan & Heller. He specializes in banking and financing transactions; bankruptcy, insolvency and business reorganization; commercial litigation and arbitration, and creditors’ rights.
Marko provided an insightful program on numerous legal issues, based primarily on questions he is asked on a regular basis by friends, family, and people in need of representation at the last minute. Among them:
• He discussed property sales and ownership. Do you have the correct documentation to prove ownership? Not all documents are legal and 9/10th rule does apply if you do not have documentation of ownership.
• Do you need a will? What constitutes a legal one? Living wills and health care proxy. Getting your paperwork in order for your and your family’s protection is essential.
• Dealing with traffic tickets and how to settle them quickly. Some really good hints on reducing insurance costs associated with moving violations by being proactive.
• Are waivers of liability are really effective? A good discussion on what is an effective waiver and what is not.
• President Terry Brewer reviewed with the group a variety of club activities. Among them were the latest indoor simulator golf tournament, the Easter basket drive, the upcoming Ronald McDonald House breakfast club volunteers will be cooking, and upcoming Rotary Home Cooking dinner dates.
• Discussion was held concerning potential fundraising events by the breakfast group.
NEXT BREAKFAST MEETING: 7 a.m. Thursday, April 21. Speakers will be John Sawchuk and Jim McHugh.