Attending (13): April Dowd, Bill Dowd, Murray Forth, Pat Bailey, Peter Brown, Debbie Brown, Jim Leyhane, Dick Drumm, Terry Brewer, Debbie Rodriguez, Stewart Wagner, Jim Mendrysa, Len Leonidas. (One no-show.)
Guests (5): Robin Merrill, Hydee Yonkers, Bill Nathan, Maggie and Jeremy Forth.
Program: Take Shape for Life
Murray Forth introduced two speakers from the Take Shape for Life nutrition and wellness company: Hydee Yonkers, regional manager and health coach, and Robin Merrill, health coach. Hydee presented the main part of their program.
She began by explaining that the Take Shape for Life program aims to counsel people in weight loss and maintaining the loss over their lifetime through a refined eating and exercise program, all to help with problems such as diabetes, orthopedic problems and the like.
[The program involves selling foods tailored specifically to individual needs for initial loss of weight and balancing one’s nutritional needs.]
Hydee used as illustrations before-and-after photos of clients — and herself — whose weight loss ranged from 30+ to 130 pounds. She also explained about changing habits, beginning with drinking enough water throughout the day.
She stressed the need for frequent small meals and portion control, and the need to exercise to keep weight off.
She and Robin explained how they became coaches and what is involved in their training — mostly online instruction, with an occasional in-person training session. Their services are paid for by their company.
• President April spoke briefly about the District 7190 Rotary Foundation dinner on Wednesday that she attended along with VP Bill, Debbie Brown, Treasurer Murray and guest Maggie Forth. Bill noted that he posted a photo-report on the event on the club website and Facebook page.
• Murray reported that he hand-delivered a $10,000 check from the club for ShelterBox aid to the typhoon-ravaged Philippines to area co-coordinator Nancy Faddegon. At that time, our contribution doubled what had been collected from all over the District. The final donor figure was $25,000, as noted in the Times Union online, with the SRC donation the largest single one.
• Jim Leyhane reported that our Boy Scout Troop 41 will hold a food drive this weekend in the Schodack area and other areas. Donations can be left at the Elks Lodge in Rensselaer.
• Past DG Bill Nathan, visiting on behalf of the Albany Club, announced that his club will hold an auction from noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday, December 4, at the restaurant Taste (formerly called Dale Miller) opposite the Times Union Center in downtown Albany. Free parking will be available at the 45 Beaver Street garage. Funds, which will go to PolioPlus, will be matched. For every $100 donated, Rotarians and other attendees will receive Paul Harris credit.
• Dick Drumm announced a holiday crafts sale this Friday at his Schodack vet clinic from 7 p.m. to closing and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
UPCOMING MEETINGS: No meeting on Thanksgiving Day. The next meeting is scheduled for 6:15 p.m. Thursday, December 5, at Quigley’s. The program will be Amy Dowd of Stone Hollow Farm / Dowd Racing Stable, speaking on training harness racing horses. This program was rescheduled from an earlier date.