Attending (16): April Dowd, Bill Dowd, Murray Forth, Pat Bailey, Jim Leyhane, Terry Brewer, Geoff Brewer, Dick Drumm, Doris Calamaras, Dean Calamaras, Rommel Tolentino, Stewart Wagner, Debbie Rodriguez, Carol Orvis, Carole Spencer, Charlie Foote. (1 reservation no-show.)
• April, presiding for Peter, said we still need hosts for two summer Thursdays, August 15 and 29. If anyone can host, please contact April or Bill Dowd.
• April announced that the proposed Hudson River dinner cruise will not be held due to a lack of member response to several requests for reservations.
• We still are looking for reservations for two summer outings: Dinner and a performance of “Les Miserables” at Mac-Haydn Theatre, contact Murray Forth by Wednesday, July 3, when we will be meeting at his residence; dinner and a ValleyCats baseball game, with a signup sheet being distributed for the last time at the June 27 meeting.
• Next Thursday, June 27, is the Presidential Changeover, being hosted by Debbie and Peter, the outgoing president, who will hand over the gavel to April for the 2013-14 Rotary Year. All attendees are asked to bring an appetizer.
• Jim Leyhane reported that we have an opportunity for an excellent Gift of Life project. If a group of clubs pledges $1,000 each, a “nest egg” of $20,000 will be matched at different Rotary levels and could snowball to $100,000 or more to finance a medical cardiac surgery mission to the Philippines for both treatment and teaching. The club unanimously agreed to pledge our $1,000 share of the support.
• Murray noted that a $500 club scholarship will be presented to a graduating senior on Friday at Maple Hill High School. We have had no word from Columbia High School where we have budgeted another $500 scholarship.
• Bill reported that he and April had escorted a Brazilian Rotary GSE (Group Study Exchange) quintet on a tour of the EMPAC facility at RPI. The same evening, the Dowds, along with Dick Drumm, Charlie Foote, Peter and Debbie Brown and Dean and Doris Calamaras, attending the Lansingburgh-Troy Club’s dinner meeting at which the Brazilians provided a presentation on their nation.
NEXT MEETING: Presidential Changeover, 6 p.m. Thursday, June 27, at the Browns’ residence, 18 Clove Road, Castleton-on-Hudson (phone: 732-7178).