Nick George (below) of Hudson Falls, head trainer for the Rotary Youth Leadership Academy (RYLA), presented a slide show explaining the current program. Shown at top is a rope-climbing confidence exercise the students used in the opening session of the seven-month series of monthly activities.
Attendance (15): Terry Brewer, Murray Forth, Pat Bailey, Bill Dowd, April Dowd, Peter Brown, Deb Brown, Geoff Brewer, Russ Edberg, Jim Leyhane, Rommel Tolentino, Deb Rodriguez, Jim Mendrysa, Rob Mangold, Dick Drumm.
Guests (2): RYLA trainer Nick George; Visiting Rotarian (and former SRC member) Bill Wilde.
Program: Nick George on RYLA activities.
Jim Leyhane introduced Nick with some background on RYLA. Nick gave an update and explained how RYLA started. He showed slides of the students — especially four from Maple Hill High School who the SRC Club sponsored — participating in various activities throughout the year.
Nick spoke about the students’ challenge to plan all aspects of the end-of-term banquet. He also discussed the other activities the students got involved in and their accomplishments.
The program is held one Saturday a month from October through April, the only RYLA program anywhere run on a divided schedule. Thirty to 40 students from about 25 schools in District 7190 participate.
• Everyone is encouraged to check out our website for updates including photos of the Rotary Run. Many thanks to Bill Dowd for his efforts in keeping the site fresh!
• April Dowd is continuing to collect items for the Peaceable Kingdom Animal Rescue Attendance program. Blankets, towels, food, coupons, etc., are needed. April will take the donated items to Wendy Guntert, the Columbia County deputy sheriff who recently spoke to the club about the program.
• Charlie Foote continues to report on his travels via motorcycle to the convention in New Orleans.
• A report from Treasurer Murray Forth on finances from the Rotary Run showed income of $6,551.39 vs. expenses of $4,549.57, for a net of $1,961.82. The report included a comparison of expenses/income from last year. Also Terry thanked the 20 Rotarians and family members who helped at the event. Terry reviewed the Run and reported on successes and concerns and he thanked everyone for their help.
• Our last formal meeting of the 2010-2011 Rotary Year will be Thursday, June 23, at Murray’s residence.
Next Meeting: 6:15 p.m. Thursday, June 2.
[Go here for the Events Calendar.]