Attendance (14): Terry Brewer, Murray Forth, Jason Brown, Jim Leyhane, Rommel Tolentino, Doris Calamaras, Bill Dowd, Debbie Rodriguez, Rob Mangold, Russ Edberg, Charlie Foote, Dick Drumm, Phil Egan, Jim Mendrysa.
Dr. Jason Brown speaking on back ailments
Club member Jason, a doctor of chiropractic, spoke on what he termed the misconceptions of many exercise and therapy activities in relation to back problems. He used a slideshow to illustrate a series of “McGill’s Big 3” exercises — named for a famous researcher — that he noted are deceptively simple but highly effective in creating a good body core and avoiding many of the micro-traumas to which the human body is prone. He also displayed a model of several vertebrae and how pressure on one area can create a bulging disc, shown in yellow in the photo above.
The three recommended McGill exercises, in pictures:
• “Bowling Over Polio” — The fundraiser scheduled for Saturday, March 26, will be publicized by e-mail messages to the local high schools and posters distributed throughout the community.
• “Rotary Run” — A flyer is being developed for the 31st annual event, scheduled for May 22 at Green Meadow School. We are looking into pricing of advertising on T-shirts and sponsored mileage signs.
• RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) — The annual RYLA dinner is scheduled for April 9. Nick George and several RYLA participants will join us for a dinner meeting on May 26.
• Member Burke Adams is seeking club financial sponsorship for a team or a billboard at the Capital Region Miracle League’s Jaime M. Adams Field. The Miracle League provides athletic activities and facilities for persons with disabilities who live within a 100-mile radius of the field. President Terry said the inquiry will be considered by the board.
• Terry has designated the Thursday, March 24, dinner meeting as a time for induction of numerous new members as well as a recognition night.
• A reminder that reservations should be made with event coordinator Jim Leyhane for the March 18 “Backward Irish Dinner” being held by Pat Bailey as part of our Home Dinner Series fundraising program.
NEXT MEETING: : We will have a dinner meeting at NewsChannel 13 in Menands. Early start — 5:30 p.m. We will tour the facilities, observe the 6 o’clock news and have dinner at 6:30. We are limited in the number of attendees allowed, so please re-confirm with Terry ASAP even if you already have signed up.
[Go here for the Events Calendar.]