ROMMEL TOLENTINO PRESENTS A SLIDESHOW ON HIS TOUR OF TURKEY.
Southern Rensselaer County Rotary Club
Minutes of January 6, 2011
Attendance (13): Terry Brewer, Pat Bailey, Murray Forth, Len Leonidas, Geoff Brewer, Jim Leyhane, Bill Dowd, Russ Edberg, Carol Orvis, Dean Calamaras, Doris Calamaras, Charlie Foote, Rommel Tolentino.
Guests (2): Roberto Martinez. Kayden Leonidas.
Rommel Tolentino on “Turkey: Crossroads of East and West”
Rommel and his wife visited Turkey last spring. It is a country of 77 million that is 97% Islamic, with a parliamentary republic form of government. Rommel showed photos and spoke about Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey, and his many accomplishments which helped to create the modern republic in just 10 years. Highlights of the trip included: Istanbul (Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the grand bazaar, the spice market and Topkapi Palace); the mountainous region of Cappadocia (photos taken from a hot air balloon ride, the interiors of Christian cave churches), and the area of Pamukkale, including the ancient city of Ephesus. Rommel also spoke about efforts to restore part of the biblical-era city.
• The basket auction at the annual Holiday Party raised $385 for the club treasury.
• Jim Leyhane distributed the program assignment list for the rest of 2011 through June. Check the website for the calendar. Members are asked to line up their programs according to the list and let Jim and Bill Dowd know the content ASAP.
• The club received a thank-you note from Doors of Hope for its $250 donation.
• We have exhausted the original schedule of Member Home Dinners, and Jim is looking for people who wish to host the fundraisers in 2011.
• President Terry said next week’s meeting will be a Club Assembly at which we will discuss our programs and plans for the remainder of the 2010-2011 Rotary Year.
[Go here for the Events Calendar.]