Southern Rensselaer County Rotary Club
Minutes of November 18, 2010
Attendance (12): Terry Brewer, Jim Leyhane, Murray Forth, Pat Bailey, Bill Dowd, Dick Drumm, Russ Edberg, Phil Egan, Peter Brown, Steve Phelps, Charlie Foote, Doris Calamaras.
Guests (4): Michael Calamaras, Barbara Foote, Debbie Rodriguez, Charlotte DiPaola.
• Two Rotary Home Dinners are coming up. See Jim Leyhane for reservations. This Saturday will be at the Browns’; there is room for four more. On December 11, one will be held at the Forth residence; room for two more.
• The club received a thank-you note from Kristine Moxon of the Nassau Free Library for our $200 donation that helped the library purchase a learning computer. Kristine recently spoke to the club.
• The club holiday party will be held at the Forth residence instead of the Brewer residence. The date is Thursday, December 16. Themed gift baskets will be put up for silent auction at the event.
• Charlie Foote presented the club with a flag from the Rotary club in Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada, which he had visited.
• Jim Leyhane was presented with the jewel-studded Paul Harris Level 8 award for his lengthy service to Rotary,
• Charlotte DiPaula, a District 7190 assistant governor, was our speaker as a late substitution for Frank Wargo, who had to reschedule.
She spoke to us about the reasons for joining Rotary. She explained the Rotary service project her husband became involved in to bring eye surgery to an area of India. She also spoke about the benefits of meeting other Rotary members overseas as well as here at home. And, she also explained about Rotary Leadership training.
• As part of a new-member induction for Doris Calamaras, Jim Leyhane reviewed the history of our club — which began in 1965 as the East Greenbush Rotary club — ad about Rotary itself — which was founded in 1905. President Terry Brewer presented Doris with her new membership pin.
NEXT MEETING: 6:15 p.m. Thursday, December 2. Speaker: Joseph Ferrannini on cemetery restorations.
[Go here for the Events Calendar.]